Friday, December 28, 2012

Wild day

Actually, our "day" began last night. I fell asleep with Prim in the bed snuggling with me. I have been putting her in the crate on top of a bigger crate by my side of the bed so that she can see and smell me (no comments on that one) during the night but haven't left her in the bed for fear she would fall or jump off or, since she is still no where near house trained, that she might wet the bed. Well, she stayed pretty much in my arms all night. She woke up around 4am and fidgeted a bit but not enough to make me get up. She fell back to sleep after a few minutes and slept until my husband got up at 6am.

But our real adventure began around 9:30 when we went to pick up the RV we purchased to make traveling with the dogs easier (we'll see how that works for us). Since the consignment place is about an hour away and since we figured we would be there for around 2 hours to do the stuff they needed to do to show us how everything works as well as actually paying for the thing, my husband suggested we take Prim with us.

Now, aside from the fact that she is not fully vaccinated yet, I was super concerned about how much the outing would stress her. I decided to give it a shot and if I ended up spending all day sitting in the car, so be it.

Well, first off, it turned colder as the morning progressed and neither my husband nor I brought a jacket. So Prim was chilly but I couldn't tell if she was shivering from the cold or fear. Of course, everyone in the place had to oooh and aaah over her. (She also provided an opening to talk about her mother and, fingers crossed, there was a young man there who might be interested in her, we'll see)

But back to Prim, she eventually settled down and even took treats from one lady in the parts store. All in all, we were gone around 4 hours. We took the trailer to the storage facility and I had to put her on the truck  seat while I helped guide my husband in backing into the space. She sat on the seat quietly and even when I remained out of the truck to get things out of the trailer, she just lay in the sun so relaxed!!! That's the operative idea, she was able to relax. I was so pleased with her. Still a long way to go but I have learned that her temper tantrums when we go out the front door are not a sign that she is having a complete meltdown. She can handle a little stress and needs to learn that she can go out into the world and it's perfectly ok. Nothing scary is going to happen to her. And the mommy will be so happy:-)

BTW, I bought some Himalayan dog chews (basically petrified Yak milk, I think) the other day. Wow do they all love them. A bit pricey but only Brinkley is able to actually chew any of it off and eat it. Gidget keeps hiding hers. And if she can steal Prim's, she'll take it and hide it too. Brinkley isn't going to give his up for anything and carried it around in his mouth all afternoon, even when he went outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment