Monday, December 31, 2012

Lots of socialization

We have been taking Prim with us everywhere we didn't think they would throw us out bodily if we brought a puppy in (how's that for an awkward sentence?). Last night our grandson flew in with his daddy to spend the week with us. Even though the airport has signs on the doors saying no dogs allowed, we decided to risk it and take her with us. What a great idea. No one said a word to us.

Of course, we had the usual trembling when we got out of the car (she doesn't seem to mind riding in the car and will usually fall off to sleep. Should make a good travel companion) but she got her sea legs pretty quickly and was just looking everywhere.

They have changed the set up for waiting for incoming passengers since we were there last in August. Now they have a bank of chairs at the foot of the escalators/stairs/elevators where all incoming passengers go to reach luggage pick up. She sat on my lap and just watched everyone come down, from the guy who pulled his 2 suitcases down the stairs - thump, thump, thump (they aren't going to last long with that kind of abuse) to people of every size and nationality, many people in wheel chairs, balloons, you name it. What a great chance to expose her to just about everything imaginable. And she took it all in stride. No one came over to coo at her. A few people smiled at us but most ignored us. Here she is taking it all in.


And here she is meeting out grandson for the first time


I'm really pleased with how she is doing. And I am beginning to understand her more. I'm glad I haven't let her fears keep me from working through her socialization. I am guessing that perhaps she will always be hesitant about new environments and changes but I think, like her mother, she will be brave enough to work through them. On the other hand, perhaps if her mother had the kinds fo experiences we are trying to provide, she might have been a bit less hesitant. We shall see. At any rate, we will continue to take her as many places as we can. So far she hasn't had any bad or scary things happen so it's all been positive.

One thing though, Gidget was really upset with having a child in the house. She barked her head off and growled at him. I'm not sure if she's always been like this or if it's a result of the little boy that "attacked" her at the adoption event a few weeks ago (he was only about 5 and was so excited to see the "puppy" that he ran at her and grabbed her before I had a chance to realize he was even there - she growled at him but luckily didn't bite). I always put her in our bedroom when we had kids come to look at the puppies so I don't know how she would have reacted - didn't want to chance it. We shall see how she does with our Grandson as the week progresses. Luckily he is 9 years old and understands to give her space. It may be that she will be like she is with Brinkley and our cat, Peek-a-Boo. She just ignores them:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment